Several members of our church are involved with this event. Click on the following link to download the flyer for this event:
Natural Gas Wells – What you don’t know could hurt you.
There could be a toxic site in your community right now, but not the EPA, DEC or your town officials know the effects of all the involved chemicals. These sites are “frack pits”; they contain the flowback fluid from the controversial natural gas extraction technique known as hydraulic-fracturing, hydrofracking, or fracking.
Alarmed Wales residents recently formed Wales POWR (Protecting Our Water Rights). They have been extensively researching natural gas extraction and its effects- as well as working with their town board to decide how to protect their community from the potential damage from fracking.
As part of POWR’s efforts to educate fellow residents and neighboring communities, they, along with representatives from surrounding towns, will be hosting an educational event about Hydrofracking at the Aurora Town Hall Auditorium, 300 Gleed Avenue, on February 20th at 2pm. This event will include Binghamton scientist, Chris Burger, speaking on the effects of hydrofracking, a short documentary film excerpt, and options for protecting your property and water supply.
Hydrofracking involves driving “frack fluid” down into the rock under high pressure in order to drive out the gas trapped there. The frack fluid contains water, a proppant such as sand, and hundreds of chemicals components. Among these chemicals, some are known to be carcinogenic. To frack a traditional vertical well, it takes about 30,000 to 80,000 gallons of frack fluid, while fracking a horizontal well with high-volume slickwater requires 2 to 7 million gallons.
Where horizontal high volume hydrofracking has already taken place, such as in Wyoming, Colorado, Texas and Pennsylvania, there have been numerous reports of illnesses, water contamination, ignitable water, and large animal and fish kills.
The vast amount of water necessary for the fracking jobs is often sourced locally, depleting waterways and aquifers. Also the flowback fluids require extremely specialized treatment facilities, of which there are few. Estimates by local gas companies on the amount of the fluid returned to the surface is 25%, leaving 75% to migrate unpredictably.
The Marcellus Shale, a potential “gold mine” of natural gas lies under parts of WNY, and the best way to exploit it is through high volume horizontal hydrofracking. A significant amount of land in this area has already been leased to gas companies. While horizontal high volume slickwater drilling has not yet taken place in NYS on a large scale, there are many vertically fracked wells in WNY and the plans are already in place to move forward with horizontal drilling once the moratorium is up this summer.
The natural gas companies ready to exploit the Marcellus Shale in NY assure us it is a bonanza of economic growth, job creation, and a clean energy alternative, but fracking has a darker side that opponents say must be brought to light.
Fracking is not only something to come in the future as the Marcellus Shale begins to be exploited, but has been a part of the more recent increase in gas drilling over the last few years in WNY. Vertical fracking has already been associated with water well contamination, potential health threats and damage to agricultural fields. Due to the concerns about water and health, some towns in NYS have taken action to protect themselves.
To learn more about the effects of hydrofracking and how to protect your land and community, attend the Feburary 20th event at the Town Hall Auditorium at 300 Gleed Avenue, East Aurora, NY at 2pm.